What We Offer
Cork Canine Rehabilitation Centre offers an integrated land and water based small animal inpatient and outpatient rehabilitative service.
We offer expert advice and home programs and on-going mentoring and support services for all our clients and their pets. We work closely with your vet to ensure the best for your pet. We also provide a specialist inpatient physiotherapy service to Gilabbey Veterinary Hospital.
A physiotherapy session is carried out by a highly qualified and experienced small animal rehabilitation therapist and will include:
Assessment/reassessment of your pet
Individualised treatment programme
Individualised home programme & reviews
Professional mentoring & support
Land and Water based Physiotherapy
Water based physiotherapy utilises the unique physical properties of warm water, together with skilled therapeutic handling techniques, specialised equipment, manual movement and proprioceptively enriched techniques to improve movement and function on land.
Canine aqua and hydrotherapy can be used for pre-operative conditioning or as part of the rehabilitation programme designed to facilitate the progress of recovery from injury. illness or surgery.
BENEFITS OF LAND AND WATER BASED PHYSIOTHERAPY
- Relieve pain and improve comfort
- Prevent further injuries
- Improve endurance and cardiovascular performance
- Improve coordination and balance
- Increase strength, flexibility and range of motion
- Improve overall psychological wellbeing
All resulting in improved mobility and function
COMMON CONDITIONS THAT BENEFIT FROM PHYSIOTHERAPY
- Joint Conditions: Elbow or hip dysplasia or OCD
- Neurological Conditions: IVDD, CDRM, trauma, post decompression spinal surgery
- Soft tissue injuries and conditions: pre and post surgical treatment of cranial cruciate ligament rupture, other ligament, muscle and tendon injuries
- Post orthopaedic surgery: TPLO, TTA, luxating patella repair, fracture repair, arthroscopy as part of the rehabilitaton programme.
- Obesity: as part of the weight loss programme
- Osteoarthritic Management
- Conditioning & Endurance Training: such as muscle strengthening for the athletic or working dog and those recovering from illness
- Geriatric dogs: Maintaining and improving mobility in the older dog
- General fitness: in young, older and athletic dogs
Cork Canine Rehabilitation Centre’s state of the art facility is located within Gilabbey Veterinary Hospital, which has amble parking, and grassy area for toileting purposes. Our custom made aqua facilities are specially designed to meet the needs of our patients and include a large walk in shower, a 6 ft. x 10 ft. indoor pool which holds a large internal platform which is easily accessed by gentle sloping ramps.
Water quality and hygiene is vitally important to us, and is tested several times daily to ensure a safe working environment. Pool water is maintained at 32 degrees Celsius, which is of great benefit therapeutically, as it results in vasodilation, increasing blood flow, assisting in relief of muscle tension and improving cardiorespiratory output.
If your pet scored one or more in any of these questions, please contact your vet or Cork Canine Rehabilitation Centre to arrange an appointment to manage any pain they may be in and improve your dogs quality of life. Cork Canine Rehabilitation Centre: 087 1939654, www.corkcaninerehabcentre.com